Saturday, March 22, 2008

Interview with Mrs. Clayton, Wall High School Nurse

This is an interview for my feature with the Wall High School nurse, Mrs. Clayton. Here are her thoughts on teen obesity.


Do you think obesity is a problem in the US?

I absolutely think it’s a problem in the United States. I think it has become more of a problem over the years in younger children, even younger than teenagers because of the inactivity, and a lot of the prepared and easy foods.

Do you think it is a problem in Wall?

I don’t think that Wall is any different from any place else. I think that a lot of the kids in high school come to the high school being overweight. I think some of the elementary school is where a lot of the problems start. There are tons of kids that are overweight.

How do you think teens should go about using weight?

I think anybody who wants to lose weight should do it in an intelligent, guided manner. In all my years of being a nurse, I’ve seen people lose dramatic amounts of weight on crash diets, only to gain that weight and then some. It seems that the only time that people lose weight and keep it off is when they adopt a healthy life style; a balance of good food and exercise. Eating a good balanced diet is the trick.

Do you think schools should be doing anything to prevent obesity?

I think they’re trying. Years ago they used to sell a lot of candy and cookies throughout the school and that has been stopped. The cafeteria has tried to give out healthier foods. I think we’re all in a hurry and maybe in our heart we would like to eat something more nutritious but fall into “Well, I have to eat quickly.” It goes for kids too, you have such busy schedules. It is much easier to pick up a bag of chips than it is to find something else. The school trying to make fast things available, healthy things available, they are doing their part. They have cut out soda. Soda is just calorie laden. I wish there were some other programs like walks around the building. Some more walking activities.

Any additional comments.

I think it is a problem and the earlier people develop healthier lifestyles and healthier eating habits, the quicker the problem will be resolved. It is not only for the cosmetic look- as you get older, obesity leads to diabetes, obesity leads to hypertension, high blood pressure. In an effort to ward off future problems, getting under control at a healthy age. The younger you develop a healthy lifestyle, the easier it is.

No comments: